HOME  |  AQUAPONICS |  FISH |  VEGGIES |  BACKYARD SYSTEMS  |  COMMERCIAL SYSTEMS  |  AQUAPONICS MAGAZINE |  CONTACT US

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Strawberry towers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 pm 

What is the watering method used on these strawberry towers? Do you water them by hand? Or are you pumping water into the top (as it appears)? Do you have to water at each level? If you only water from the top it would appear that all the lower levels would only have water running down the back of the pipe which may not saturate all the growing media throughout each level.
The towers look good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:59 pm 

I love the look of these. I can just imagine them filled with plants, in bloom and bearing. Another thing I have added to my "tuit" list. You know, one of those things to do when I get round 'tuit'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 pm 

towers are watered from the top..the water will make it to the bottom evenly and to drain back to tanks
i like the "zip grow system" stuff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:12 am 

lsoverstreet wrote:
What is the watering method used on these strawberry towers? Do you water them by hand? Or are you pumping water into the top (as it appears)? Do you have to water at each level? If you only water from the top it would appear that all the lower levels would only have water running down the back of the pipe which may not saturate all the growing media throughout each level.
The towers look good.

I bought a cheapo timer for 17 bucks at the local hyrdo store. I have it set to run a pump 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. A single pump feeds fish tank water into the top of each tower. The pockets are hydroton filled and the trickle down seems to be keeping the media in each pocket adequately moistened. The strawberries love it! I'm amazed at their rate of growth. Will have to post more pics soon.